TM204/OT2.2 Book List
For WEMTC: This module explores and evaluates the different ways First Testament Law and Narrative may be read in order to find meaning suitable for preaching today. On the basis that both Law and Narrative may have had original sermonic settings it then explores how law and narrative formats and methods might influence the form and method of our preaching.
For Wesley: This unit explores the range of meanings of the word 'law' in the OT and the different types of legal material including the Decalogue. Attention is paid to the way in which Christians have appealed to bibliucal law in addressing ethical issues. The main substance of the course will be the study of selected individual biblical narratives and the way in which they relate to one another.
On this page you will find a sample book list. It may not mirror exactly the actual lists given in class and should not be relied upon. However if there are major differences please notify me and I will update this page.
This module is taught by Elizabeth Harper
Further reading will be found on the class handouts relating to each week's subject.
- Brown C. New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology "Law" vol. 2 UK: Paternoster Press 1976 pp438-455
- Freedman D.N. Anchor Bible Dictionary "Law" USA: Doubleday 1992 vol. 4 pp242-265, "Narrative" vol. 4 pp1023-1027
- Kittel G et al. Theological Dictionary of the New Testament "Nomos" vol. 4 Grand Rapids: Eerdmans 1967 pp1036ff
- Van Gemeren W. New International Dictionary of Old Testament Theology & Exegesis "Law of God" vol. 4 U.K: Paternoster Press 1997 pp893-900
- Barton S.C. Holiness: Past and Present London: T & T Clark 2003
- Brueggemann Theology of the Old Testament Minneapolis: Augsberg Fortress 1997 pp181-200, 578-599
- Brueggemann The Covenanted Self Minneapolis: Fortress Press 1999
- Christensen D A Song of Power and the Power of Song Winona Lake Eisenbrauns
- Clements RE ed. The World of Ancient Israel Cambridge: CUP 1989
- Crusemann F. The Torah Edinburgh: T & T Clark 1996
- Firmage, Weiss & Welch, Religion and Law: Biblical- Judaic and Islamic Perspectives Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns 1990
- Gammie J.G. Holiness in Israel Minneapolis: Fortress Press 1989
- Hawthorne G and Betz O. Tradition and Interpretation in the NT Grand Rapids: Eerdmans 1987
- Heschel A.J. The Sabbath Farrar, Staruss & Giroux: New York 1951
- Nielson E. The Ten Commandments in New Perspective London: SCM 1968
- Dale P. Old Testament Law London: SCM 1986
- Rogerson J.W. The Pentateuch: A Sheffield Reader Sheffield Academic Press 1996
- SeimeiaVol 45 1989
- Stamm J.J. The Ten Commandments in Recent Research London: SCM 1967
- Strickland W. The Law, the Gospel and the Modern Christian: Five Views Grand Rapids: Zondervan 1993
- Wright C.J.H. Living as the People of God Leicester: IVP 1983
- Wright C.J.H. Walking in the Ways of the Lord Illinois: IVP 1995
Law and Ethics
- Birch B. Let Justice Roll Down: The Old Testament Ethics, and the Christian Life Kentucky: John Knox 1991
- Janzen W. Old Testament Ethics: A Paradigmatic Approach Kentucky: John Knox Press 1994
- Kaiser W.C. Toward an Old Testament Ethics Grand Rapids: Zondervan 1983. see especially Part 2.
- Alter R. The Art of Biblical Narrative London: George Allen & Unwin 1981
- Bar Efrat Narrative Art in the Bible Sheffield: Almond Press 1989
- Berlin A. Poetics & Interpretation of Biblical Narrative Sheffield: Almond Press 1983
- Brueggemann W The Creative Word Philadelphia: Fortress Press 1982.
- Fokkelman J.P. Reading Biblical Narrative: An Introductory Guide Louisville: Westminster John Knox 1999
- Malbon & McKnight The New Literary Criticism and the New Testament Sheffield Academic Press 1994
- Gunn D. & Fewell D. Narrative in the Hebrew Bible Oxford: OUP 1993
- McConnell F ed. The Bible & the Narrative Tradition Oxford: OUP 1986.
- McKenzie S. L. & Haynes S. R. To Each Its Own Meaning Kentucky: John Knox Press 1993
- Powell M A What is Narrative Criticism? Minneapolis: Fortress Press 1990
- Schökel L.A. A Manual of Hermeneutics Sheffield Academic Press 1998
- Sternberg M. The Poetics of Biblical Narrative Indiana: Indiana University Press 1985.
On Specific Narratives and Biblical Books
All the books are available within the Federation libraries. I also have copies of some books which may be borrowed.
- Alter & Kermode A Literary Guide to the Bible 1987
- Bolin T.M. Freedom Beyond Forgiveness Sheffield Academic Press 1997
- Davies & Clines Among the Prophets Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press
- Dennis T. Lo and Behold: The Power of Old Testament Storytelling London: SPCK 1991
- Exum J. C. Tragedy and Biblical Narrative Cambridge: CUP 1992
- Freitheim T.E. The Pentateuch Nashville: Abingdon Press 1996
- Goldingay J After Eating the Apricot Cumbria: Paternoster Publishing 1996
- Goldingay J Men Behaving Badly Cumbria: Paternoster Press 2000
- Jenson P. Reading Jonah Cambridge: Grove Booklets 1999
- Peterson E.H. Under the Predictable Plant Michigan Eerdmans 1992
- Ryken L Words of Delight Michigan: Baker Book House 1992
- Sherwood Y. A Biblical Text and its Afterlives Cambridge University Press 2000
Go to TM204/OT2.2 Home page
[Next] Wesley Assignments | [Start] of this document | [Previous] TM204/OT2.2 Law and Narrative Class Schedules